12.18.2011

Munny

I had a blast at the holiday work party with Tippett last saturday night! One of the main highlights was being involved in the munny competition. What is this you might ask? Well, you get one of these...

And then you can do whatever you want with it! The two categories were best movie adaptation and most original. After a long list of ideas I quickly went with one of my all time favorite characters: Edward Scissorhands.
I first sketched out how I wanted him to look and made a list of supplies I would need to accomplish my idea.
Then the tedious work began... I first sculpted all of his belts and clothing with super sculpey. The belt buckles are from a chain that I tore apart and the pieces holding together the chains made good studs for the belt. The scissor fingers are wire I hammered out.
After I was happy with the form I cooked him for 15 minutes at 275 degrees. This is an important detail because the munny is made out of vinyl and will melt if left in for too long. But you have to cook the sculpey just right or it will crack. The trick is 15 min per 6mm. Mine wasn't quite that thick, but I did it for that long anyways and so far its holding together. Next was painting...
Which was quite tricky because of the rings and studs. But a small brush and steady hand did the trick. I first did a flat black layer and then went in with a dry brush and added some texture. After doing the face I gave the whole thing a layer of protective varnish. Then I glued on some yarn for the hair, messed it up a bit, painted on some metallic details, connected the scissor fingers to the control with some string and this is what I got...




6 comments:

mrs. c said...

LOVE him! he's super cute. has to be one of my favorite movies.

Jared said...

so neat! it looks really good. great idea :)

Jess Morris said...

Thanks Angela :) One of my favorite movies too!

g1toons said...

wicked

gcastro3d said...

wow, nice!

Ted Warnock said...

Brilliant Jess!